Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Being Stereotyped by stereotyped people

Posted by Ami S. at 9/19/2012
As you know, I am a mix of Japanese and Arab blood. I don't exactly look Japanese, but in Jordan people can see a hint of it as I do have some Asian features.

Because of this, a lot of people think I don't understand Arabic, and although this can be advantegous at times, it also has many negatives. Especially when you hear very very very nasty comments in the mall because they assume you didn't pick up what they said! 

It's not even about the language. For example, when me or my mum open the door when someone is knocking, they immediately ask "Is the madame home?". (You know, because Asians are all maids. Just like all Egyptians are labour workers and a guard of a building.) Now, we always play along and say " No No" pretending to speak terrible English so we don't have to listen to what some of those McDonalds voucher sales men have to say. But there are those days when you are just not in the mood and I think "Excuse you?"

One day in Ramadan (Yes, a "HOLY" month), to digest the large Iftar meal, my mum and I would take walks around the neighborhood. Without mentioning the area, it is a quite nice, safe neighborhood I live in, and women in the area are walking all the time, even jogging! Kids that were playing around would look at us and point "China!! Nihao!! (Hello!! in Madarin)" ..and laugh in mockery...  Ok, I will let this one go since they were kids, but quite frankly, grown people say the same thing all the time. You know that 2 minute walk from the car to the supermarket to buy phone credit?  I mean, "what the!??"

First of all: I am JAPANESE you idiot.
and second: China has the world's second GDP!! Jordan is considered a 3rd world country. Really you morons?? 

I bring this up because now watching the news and all the protests against the anti-islam film, and how Arab Muslims are always stereotyped negatively in the West, it makes me wonder.. "Wait a minute, I have never been stereotyped negatively as much as I have in Jordan, (due to ignorance), why shouldn't the West with what they see on TV?" 
I am not saying this perception is correct, as when this topic comes up, I always emphasize in defense the difference between the religion of Islam, and how it is implemented by some. Certainly the media and all the politics (two areas I am noooo expert in at all!), have a big role to play here as well. But then again, if I see a man with a beard (a sheikh) in the airport and you are "randomly" selected for inspection, don't you dare be offended when that's how your people may be are treating their visitors. (FYI tourism is bringing your country money and you are charging them 50 JDs to enter Petra and a local pays 1 JD ... but that's a different topic, lol)

I am also not saying it doesn't exist else where in the world. Certainly every country is associated with some sort of stereotyping. In the West, when I meet people, and I mention I am half Japanese, they always say "Oh I love how you guys take pictures!!" whether they refer to the very awkward standing position when taking a picture, or the infamous PEACE signs! But I don't get pointed at and spoken to as if I am looked down on and be yelled at "China!" , "Phillipine!!", "Ni-Hau!", and this isn't happening to me because I am lower class, and the advancement of this nation is better, but because people are mostly ignorant, and that's the majority. I was really embarrassed when my grandfather and uncle came to visit Jordan!!

But when you are from a country that invented Playstation, (out of many advanced technologies) then maybe , just maybe then, I'll let you point at me and say "ARAB!". But you know what, it is not ok either, because it's rude. And you know what, they don't do it! Not out loud anyway.

I mean - I don't mind most of the times this happens, and this is my personal experience I understand that. A lot of people may be against what I am saying and get defensive, explaining Amman is getting advanced and people are open minded, but I am not talking about the minority Middle/Upper class of West Amman, and all the fancy restaurants and Westernized pubs and bars in Abdoun area (where I do go to), as this is not Jordan. I am talking about the majority here, and being from here, it saddens me to see the other half of my heritage not improving or advancing whatsoever.

But I want to emphasize on how possibly other nationalities may feel who are living here. Or what perceptions tourists may have when they leave Jordan? "Oh the food was great!! people were friendly and hospitable, except in Petra they kept pointing at me and saying China!". So can we please educate the nation on not to discriminate, respect culture (not only your own), and stop thinking you are superior to others? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Peculiar Ami Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos